Friday, January 9, 2015

Vegan Cheezburger Potato Pie

I made Vegan Cheezburger Potato Pie for dinner tonight.  I got this delicious recipe from "Betty Goes Vegan".  This is a great book written by Annie & Dan Shannon.  These two write an amazing vegan blog called "Meet the Shannons".  I did make a few of my own adjustments to the recipe to account for some ingredients I couldn't get here in Small Town, Missouri.  Both of my parents ate this and loved it!  My dad, who is a hard core meat and potatoes guy, even had seconds!  I hope you all enjoy it too!!

Vegan Cheezburger Potato Pie (the modified version) makes 4 to 6 servings

1 pkg vegan ground beef (I could only find Yves Meatless Ground at Wal-Mart)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (I made my own)
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 cup A1 sauce
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp Bragg's liquid aminos
Dash of liquid smoke
2-3 large potatoes (enough to make 2 cups mashed)
3 TBS Earth Balance
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS alternative milk (I used almond)
1 TBS nutritional yeast
1-2 TBS vegan bacon bits

Toppings
1/2 recipe of Cheezy Sauce (recipe follows)
1 small tomato (sliced or diced)
2 green onions, chopped

If you are making your own mashed potatoes, get your water boiling now.  Once it is boiling, add your potatoes.  I cut my potatoes into about 8-12 smaller pieces so that they are ready for mashing quicker.  Preheat the oven to 375°F.  In a medium bowl, mix the vegan beef, bread crumbs, onion, steak sauce, mustard, Bragg's, and liquid smoke.  Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of an ungreased 9-inch pie plate, like a pie crust.  Bake for 5 minutes.

"Pie crust"

In a large pot, mashed the potatoes and add the margarine, garlic, alternative milk, and nutritional yeast.  Heat over medium heat while continually stirring with a large spoon.  Remove from heat.  Stir in the vegan bacon bits.

Remove the "crust" from the oven.  Spoon the mashed potatoes into the crust.  Use a spatula to smooth out the top and make it even.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.

Remove the pie from the oven.  Top with tomato, green onions, cheezy sauce, and any other toppings you may like (pickles could be yummy).  Let cool some before serving.



Cheezy Sauce The best I've ever had!  makes 6 to 8 servings
(half this recipe for Vegan Bacon Cheezburger Potato Pie)

1/2 cup Earth Balance (or other vegan margarine, preferably non-hydrogenated)
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp crushed pink Himalayan salt
2 TBS Bragg's liquid aminos
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
a couple of dashes of liquid smoke
Pinch of turmeric
Paprika and crushed black peppercorns to taste
1 1/2 cup nutritional yeast

Bring water to a boil.  In a separate saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat.  Once completely melted, whisk in flour.  Continue whisking over medium heat until smooth and bubbly.

Next, whisk in the boiling water, salt, Bragg's, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, and turmeric.  Add paprika and pepper to taste.

Continue whisking until dissolved.  Once thick and bubbling, whisk in the nutritional yeast until your sauce is creamy.  If it gets too thick, add more water.



I hope you all try this recipe!  I thought it was delicious!  If you try it out, let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment